Pupils may have special educational needs either throughout, or at any time, during their school career. This school ensures that curriculum planning and assessment for pupils with special educational needs take account of the type and extent of the difficulty experienced by the pupil.
Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhondda provides a broad and balanced curriculum for all pupils. The National Curriculum is our starting point that meets the specific needs of individuals and groups of pupils. When planning, teachers set suitable learning challenges and respond to pupils' diverse learning needs. A minority of pupils has particular learning and assessment requirements that could create barriers to learning.
These requirements are likely to arise as a consequence of a pupil having special educational needs. Teachers take account of these requirements and make provision, where necessary, to support individuals or groups of pupils and thus enable them to participate effectively in curriculum and assessment activities.
Aims and Objectives
The aims of Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhondda are to:
- create an environment that meets the special educational needs of each pupil
- ensure that the educational needs of pupils are identified, assessed and provided for
- make clear the expectations of all partners in the process
- identify the roles and responsibilities of staff in providing for pupils' special educational needs
- enable all pupils to have full access to all elements of the school curriculum.
Partnership with Parents
At all stages of the special needs process, Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhondda keeps parents fully informed and involved. We take into account the wishes, feelings and knowledge of parents at all stages. We encourage parents to make an active contribution to their child's education. Parents are encouraged to frequent all parents evenings as well as extra parents evenings for those with children with Special Educational Needs.